Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Patronize Your Local Quilt Shop!

I know, I know ... ordering fabric online is so fast and easy, and in the case of FatQuarterShop.com, it comes so neatly packaged with little ribbons around it. I like the little ribbons, and I don't necessarily want to give them up, but we need to keep our local shops in business! Otherwise, the joy of seeing a fabric in person and feeling the texture and weight will be a thing of the past. I'm very much an instant gratification person, so ordering online is actually torture for me, but there are so few quilt shops in the area (Jo-Ann Fabrics notwithstanding) and most of them aren't open in the evenings, which is when I have time to go.

It's a fine balance I suppose. There is a quilt shop/trim factory outlet about 15 minutes from my workplace, so I sometimes stop in on my lunch break (which is usually spent at my desk, surfing - guess what? - online fabric shops, which is, again, faster and easier than going to the store in person). Their prices are actually fantastic, so why don't I go there more often? There's something about the "thump, thump, thump" as the bolt is unrolled on the cutting table and the unmistakeable "schhhhhhrrrriiiiitttt!" the scissors make as they slice through the fabric that's GOING HOME WITH YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment